The Sustainable Investor: In Pursuit of an Enlightened Investment Portfolio
Beyond Correlation: Re-examining the True Purpose of Investing
November 12, 2014
Where did we all go so wrong? How did the financial industry's investment approaches get so far from reality? At some point, investing became about volatility, standard deviations, correlations and "Monte Carlo" analyses. An "institutional" mindset took over as individuals began to mimic the actions of the big institutional investors (i.e., pension funds.) We became more concerned with beating benchmarks than with growing our long term assets. So, today, we need to re-examine the true purpose of investing, and reconnect it with real people and real money. I'll admit it. I was part of the problem... When I managed a mutual fund some 15 years ago in the volatile emerging equity markets,...Read Full Article...
VIDEO : The Truth Behind Sustainable Investing
December 01, 2013
Robeco SAM recenly published an informative video that defines sustainable investing in plain English while debunking many misconceptions.Read Full Article...
Market Update: Second Quarter 2013
July 07, 2013
Spooked by the prospect of tighter monetary policy, investors began selling stocks and bonds, both at home and abroad, as the second quarter came to a close. Volatility spiked, as did Treasury bond yields, with the 10-year Treasury ended the quarter yielding 2.52% -- a level not seen in more than a year. In June, US stocks posted their first monthly decline of the year, ending an amazing winning streak. FIXED INCOME: While bond investors have every right to be concerned about the Fed's activities, they also need to recall that fixed income rates have been below the rate of inflation...Read Full Article...
First Quarter Review and Outlook
April 21, 2013
U.S. stocks posted robust gains in the first quarter, with large caps returning 11 percent, beating both developed international (+4%) and emerging markets stocks (-4%). Bonds were lackluster, posting flat total returns as modest coupon interest was offest by a small increase in market interest rates (causing a drop in values). In 2012 and early 2013, an accommodative Federal Reserve combined with an improving U.S. economy to push domestic shares higher. While unemployment is falling only slowly, construction fundamentals have rebounded sharply. Home prices have been rising, and corporate earnings and profitability are near record highs. This was a good recipe for stocks, but caused a little consternation...Read Full Article...
Third Quarter 2012 Review
October 06, 2012
The Third Quarter of 2012 saw a generally robust rebound in equity markets around the world. Easing concerns over the future of the euro currency helped European markets surge by more than 8%, emerging markets jumped by 6% and the S&P500 by more than 5%. Bond returns were modestly positive, generated largely by modest coupon income. Municipals yields declined versus US Treasury notes (and thus helping the bonds appreciating slightly in value), adding slightly to muni returns. Given that the source of new found optimism centered on Europe, it is perhaps not surprising that the hardest hit equity market sector, financials,...Read Full Article...
Get Started Now...
Learn how sustainable investing can align your money with your values.Board Walk Research
- Dispelling Myths about Sustainable Investing 10.01.12 Read...
- Third Quarter 2012 Review 10.06.12 Read...
- First Quarter Review and Outlook 04.21.13 Read...
- Market Update: Second Quarter 2013 07.07.13 Read...
- VIDEO : The Truth Behind Sustainable Investing 12.01.13 Read...
- Beyond Correlation: Re-examining the True Purpose of Investing 11.12.14 Read...
- Boardwalk on Facebook
- Business Radio X interview -- Sustainable Investing
- Boardwalk on LinkedIn
- Wall Street Journal -- Scott Sadler on Sustainable Investing
- UN Principles for Responsible Investment
- WSJ Profile of Boardwalk Capital Management
- Mercer -- Climate Change Report
- HBR: The Dollar Payoff from Corporate Responsibility
- Sustainable Innovation -- Udaiyan Jatar at SI13
- Carbon Disclosure Project
- Innovating for Sustainability -- Dr. Steven Olson at SI13
- Corporate Responsibility Magazine
- Enviromental Leader - (sustainability)
- CSR Wire
- Just Means
- B Corporation
- Matter Network
- VIDEO: Boards and Social Responsibility
- VIDEO: Sustainable Investing Talk to NIRI Atlanta Chapter