The Sustainable Investor: In Pursuit of an Enlightened Investment Portfolio
Your money and your brand
June 01, 2015
Last week, I had the distinct pleasure of speaking with members of the Independent Business Advisers of North America (IBANA). And while I guessed that perhaps someone cancelled as the date approached (!), I still enjoyed having the opportunity to converse with a room full of savvy business analysts. It's hard to BS folks whose job it is to know "business". My topic for the day was "Unleash the 95%"; the title referring to the requirement that foundations annually distribute 5% of their assets. (What happens to the 95% that they retain? That is the question.) First, I wasn't picking on foundations. Not at all! In fact, I...Read Full Article...
At the Intersection of Work and Purpose
October 13, 2014
"Never has there been a more exciting time for all of us to explore this great next frontier where boundaries between work and purpose are merging into one, where doing good really is good for business." Sir Richard Branson -- CEO, Virgin Group in his book Screw Business As Usual Sir Richard Branson has always been a highly quotable CEO, and the quote at the top of this page is among my favorites. It highlights the transition that we are all experiencing: That "purpose" (i.e., doing good) is now a critical part of business success. Customers demand it. Employees are attracted to it. And investors increasingly embrace it.Generational change...Read Full Article...
NY Times: Investing to Make a Difference is Gaining Ground
September 01, 2014
By PAUL SULLIVAN, New York Times If there is a traditional path to becoming an impact investor, it is the one taken by David Keller, who made a lot of money at a young age and retired from Cisco Systems in his 40s in 2002. Mr. Keller got the idea of starting a family foundation and wondered if he could do more good by putting some of the foundation’s money in investments that would have a positive social impact. “With a modest family foundation, I knew I wasn’t going to change the world,” Mr. Keller, now 60, said. “The whole idea of...Read Full Article...
July 27, 2014
"In business, sustainability means managing human and natural capital with the same vigor we apply to the management of financial capital. It means widening the scope of our awareness so we can understand fully the "true cost" of every choice we make." Ray C. Anderson -- CEO, Interface, on defining "sustainability" We can all read Ray Anderson's words above, appreciate his passion, and be inspired by his vision. But what if we aren't all visionaries like Ray? How can we create an authentic experience that reflects our passions in something as mundane as investing? Keep in mind that the carpet business isn't...Read Full Article...
Weird, no more. Five reasons why sustainable investing became mainstream.
June 09, 2013
This year, the number of “social investors” passed an important milestone: A full one out of nine investment dollars under professional management now has a “responsible” mandate. (That totals more than $3.7 trillion dollars.) Chalk it up to social media tools like Facebook and Twitter, of course, but just as the population increasingly shops with a conscience, they have begun to invest consciously, too. From Bangladeshi factories to low wage Wal-Mart workers on public assistance, fast-spreading news means that investors are less likely to be passive bystanders. We see at least five identifiable reasons why Sustainable and Responsible Investing (SRI) has gained...Read Full Article...
Get Started Now...
Learn how sustainable investing can align your money with your values.Board Walk Research
- Impact Investing: The Trillion Dollar Investment Opportunity 03.25.12 Read...
- 3 Characteristics Of Responsible Corporate Citizens 06.29.12 Read...
- The Atlantan magazine article: "Green Peace" 07.15.12 Read...
- Dispelling Myths about Sustainable Investing 10.01.12 Read...
- Boardwalk Capital: The World's Newest "Certified B Corporation" 03.21.13 Read...
- Finally... A 401k Plan with Social Impact Investments 05.14.13 Read...
- Weird, no more. Five reasons why sustainable investing became mainstream. 06.09.13 Read...
- Boardwalk on Facebook
- Business Radio X interview -- Sustainable Investing
- Boardwalk on LinkedIn
- Wall Street Journal -- Scott Sadler on Sustainable Investing
- UN Principles for Responsible Investment
- WSJ Profile of Boardwalk Capital Management
- Mercer -- Climate Change Report
- HBR: The Dollar Payoff from Corporate Responsibility
- Sustainable Innovation -- Udaiyan Jatar at SI13
- Carbon Disclosure Project
- Innovating for Sustainability -- Dr. Steven Olson at SI13
- Corporate Responsibility Magazine
- Enviromental Leader - (sustainability)
- CSR Wire
- Just Means
- B Corporation
- Matter Network
- VIDEO: Boards and Social Responsibility
- VIDEO: Sustainable Investing Talk to NIRI Atlanta Chapter