The Sustainable Investor: In Pursuit of an Enlightened Investment Portfolio
The broad array of solutions for today's "fossil free" investors
November 10, 2014
As an investment manager focused on sustainable and social impact investing, we are (by definition) open to learning as much as possible about each client's unique values. Our job is to determine how those values might manifest themselves in an investment portfolio. More and more often, including this month, we are asked to build investment portfolios that are free of fossil fuels. Given the proliferation of "index funds" and exchange traded funds (ETFs) that simply track a benchmark, one might think that this it would be difficult to remove fossil fuels from a portfolio. It's difficult -- but not impossible. And interestingly enough, one need not...Read Full Article...
A New Ranking Tool on BoardwalkCM.com
August 30, 2013
Earlier this month, we added a new tool to the BoardwalkCM.com website. This tool permits any investor to score their portfolio companies on a range of sustainability factors. All they need to do is type in the company name. This new tool is powered by CSRHub, the world's largest database of Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) data. CSRHub draws on more than 270 data sources to rank more than 7400 companies across 135 industries in 96 countries. Investors are now empowered to compare companies on environmental, social and governance factors. And while this isn't the entire picture, by any means, it sure...Read Full Article...
Weird, no more. Five reasons why sustainable investing became mainstream.
June 09, 2013
This year, the number of “social investors” passed an important milestone: A full one out of nine investment dollars under professional management now has a “responsible” mandate. (That totals more than $3.7 trillion dollars.) Chalk it up to social media tools like Facebook and Twitter, of course, but just as the population increasingly shops with a conscience, they have begun to invest consciously, too. From Bangladeshi factories to low wage Wal-Mart workers on public assistance, fast-spreading news means that investors are less likely to be passive bystanders. We see at least five identifiable reasons why Sustainable and Responsible Investing (SRI) has gained...Read Full Article...
To Divest, or Not to Divest... That is the (new) question.
May 14, 2013
Investors are increasingly asking that question. You know the one that should be never raised at cocktail parties: "Should I invest in companies that I know are wrecking the planet?" In simpler times, "serious investors" didn't worry with the social aspects of investing in tobacco or alcohol or defense contractors. Our pragmatism stated that legal products were acceptable investments in a free society. That was prior to our knowledge of climate science... before the flooding of Pacific islands and Alaskan coastal towns... and well in advance of breaching 400ppm of CO2 in the atmosphere -- a level not seen in the totality of...Read Full Article...
American firms make progress, still lag sustainability leaders
April 24, 2013
Global sustainability research firm RobecoSAM named its 2013 Sector Leaders from among more than 2000 candidates worldwide. Unfortunately, American firms still lag their counterparts in most sectors in terms of sustainability best practices and performance. Despite accounting for nearly half of the world's equity market value, only seven US companies ranked at the top of their industry, out of 58 categories. American Sector Leaders for 2013 include: Alcoa Inc. -- Aluminum Baxter International -- Medical Products Herman Miller -- Furnishings Molson Coors Brewing -- Beverages Sonoco Products -- Packaging UnitedHealth Group -- Healthcare Waste Management -- Waste Disposal Still, more than a dozen US firms showed the most significant progress in their sector, suggesting...Read Full Article...
Get Started Now...
Learn how sustainable investing can align your money with your values.Board Walk Research
- 15 Companies Tell Congress To Renew Key Wind Power Tax Credit 02.17.12 Read...
- Lighting Retrofits: Low Hanging Fruit 02.18.12 Read...
- Intel Takes Green Mindedness to the Bank 02.28.12 Read...
- Why the World's Largest Investors are Embracing Sustainable and Responsible Investing 03.22.12 Read...
- Boardwalk Portfolios: Top Rankings for Ethics and Climate 04.29.12 Read...
- Dispelling Myths about Sustainable Investing 10.01.12 Read...
- WSJ profile of Boardwalk Capital: 'Sustainable' Investment Firm Has Its Work Cut Out 01.30.13 Read...
- Boardwalk on Facebook
- Business Radio X interview -- Sustainable Investing
- Boardwalk on LinkedIn
- Wall Street Journal -- Scott Sadler on Sustainable Investing
- UN Principles for Responsible Investment
- WSJ Profile of Boardwalk Capital Management
- Mercer -- Climate Change Report
- HBR: The Dollar Payoff from Corporate Responsibility
- Sustainable Innovation -- Udaiyan Jatar at SI13
- Carbon Disclosure Project
- Innovating for Sustainability -- Dr. Steven Olson at SI13
- Corporate Responsibility Magazine
- Enviromental Leader - (sustainability)
- CSR Wire
- Just Means
- B Corporation
- Matter Network
- VIDEO: Boards and Social Responsibility
- VIDEO: Sustainable Investing Talk to NIRI Atlanta Chapter