The Sustainable Investor: In Pursuit of an Enlightened Investment Portfolio
A Truly Eventful BCorp Summit
October 01, 2013
Two weeks ago, I was fortunate to attend the BCorp Champions Retreat in Boulder, Colorado. The city’s natural beauty, history of entrepreneurship, intellectual capital, and environmental innovation made it a natural choice to host a conference of “triple bottom line” businesses. If you have been following the weather out West, however, you know that it was more eventful than anyone had hoped. And if you've never heard of a BCorp... Well, the B stands for "Benefit". To put it simply, the BCorp movement is transforming the way that business is done -- redefining success, with each firm holding themselves accountable for their profitability and...Read Full Article...
Social Responsiblity and Brand Value
May 24, 2013
Investors may stubbornly choose not acknowledge it, but consumers are already rewarding companies whose brands are perceived as valuable to society, and to themselves. And the other brands? Well, they could disappear tomorrow and few tears would be shed. If that doesn't make some executives nervous, I don't know what would. A full 70% of brands were labeled as "expendable" by the consumers polled. These consumer attitudes are the findings of the research firm, Havas Media. Companies who score highly on the Meaningful Brands Index are contributing to both "collective wellbeing" (good for society) and "individual wellbeing" (good for me). Among the "collective wellbeing" attributes found...Read Full Article...
The Investment Case for Good Corporate Citizenship
September 20, 2012
"Environmentally Conscious Companies Have More Productive Employees" Hmmm. Respected magazine Fast Company, in its Co.EXIST newsletter, ran a recent article with this title. Could that be a bit of a stretch? Let's find out. Sustainable investors know that social factors (such as employee satisfaction) are leading indicators of future investment performance. Satisfied employees are more likely to create happy customers, leading to brand value, higher service levels, and repeat buying -- and all of those attributes that companies try to create... (And those "Best Places to Work" rankings have been darned good predictors of stock price performance.) But does environmental performance create a "halo effect" that causes...Read Full Article...
Get Started Now...
Learn how sustainable investing can align your money with your values.Board Walk Research
- The Investment Case for Good Corporate Citizenship 09.20.12 Read...
- Social Responsiblity and Brand Value 05.24.13 Read...
- A Truly Eventful BCorp Summit 10.01.13 Read...
- Boardwalk on Facebook
- Business Radio X interview -- Sustainable Investing
- Boardwalk on LinkedIn
- Wall Street Journal -- Scott Sadler on Sustainable Investing
- UN Principles for Responsible Investment
- WSJ Profile of Boardwalk Capital Management
- Mercer -- Climate Change Report
- HBR: The Dollar Payoff from Corporate Responsibility
- Sustainable Innovation -- Udaiyan Jatar at SI13
- Carbon Disclosure Project
- Innovating for Sustainability -- Dr. Steven Olson at SI13
- Corporate Responsibility Magazine
- Enviromental Leader - (sustainability)
- CSR Wire
- Just Means
- B Corporation
- Matter Network
- VIDEO: Boards and Social Responsibility
- VIDEO: Sustainable Investing Talk to NIRI Atlanta Chapter