The Sustainable Investor: In Pursuit of an Enlightened Investment Portfolio
Own The Toll Booth: Opportunities in Renewable Energy
July 01, 2015
I admit it. I have a difficult time telling people that they shouldn't invest in renewable energy projects. If they have a long time horizon (these are infrastructure investments, after all), there's much to applaud. -- Why wouldn't they want such stable and substantial (8-10%) cash flows to underpin their portfolio? -- Why wouldn't they want the 30% Federal investment tax credits to offset their other gains, or to deliver future tax-free income? -- Why wouldn't they want to be part of the solution to global climate, geopolitical and energy issues? Technology risk? Nonsense. These facilities use technology to be more efficient. They don't try to be the...Read Full Article...
How Finance Can Move the Needle on Environmental and Social Issues: A Presentation to Cobb Alliance for Clean Energy
February 16, 2013
How Finance Can Move the Needle Speech to the Cobb Alliance for Smart Energy (CASE) -- February 12, 2013 I am delighted to speak with your group tonight, focusing on how the finance can help to move the needle on environmental and social issues. First of all, in the interest of full disclosure, our business isn’t solely environmentally focused. We recognize that people have a wide array of personal values, and most folks don’t know how to reflect those values in their financial activities. So, while your main concern might be climate change, another’s could be animal welfare, and yet another is...Read Full Article...
Companies are Climate Change Believers (even when politicians are not)
March 15, 2012
Without question, some companies stand to be harmed by climate change, while others could benefit from new opportunities. Still others are merely afraid to be impacted by regulation. However, no company is untouched by this issue that investors increasingly study... In the cross hairs: Insurance companies are vivid examples of companies who have much to lose from the more frequent storms and coastal flooding that is already starting to be felt. Some of the earliest adopters of low-carbon policies were reinsurance firms such as Munich Re and Swiss Re. Needless to say, these firms will raise their rates when claims escalate -- Which means we will all ultimately...Read Full Article...
Energy Efficiency: The One Trillion Dollar Answer
March 01, 2012
Buildings account for nearly half of US energy consumption, consume 3/4 of the electricity and, excluding residential, are responsible for more than 45 percent of carbon emissions. The EPA suggests that some 30% of this energy is wasted. New research from the Rockefeller Foundation ...Read Full Article...
Intel Takes Green Mindedness to the Bank
February 28, 2012
One never knows where they will find evidence of good corporate citizenship, operational excellence and environmental stewardship. This time, it's the lawyers... Law.com/Corporate Counsel magazine recently interviewed several corporate attorneys at Intel, revealing much about the depth and breadth of the sustainability programs at the world's largest manufacturer of semiconductor chips. For starters, the firm has invested more than $45 million in more than 1,500 energy efficiency and resource conservation projects since 2001. These efforts have saved more than 790 million kilowatt hours of energy, reducing energy costs by an average of approximately $23 million per year. Not a bad...Read Full Article...
Get Started Now...
Learn how sustainable investing can align your money with your values.Board Walk Research
- Apple Takes It Up a Notch 02.14.12 Read...
- 15 Companies Tell Congress To Renew Key Wind Power Tax Credit 02.17.12 Read...
- Companies are Climate Change Believers (even when politicians are not) 03.15.12 Read...
- Lighting Retrofits: Low Hanging Fruit 02.18.12 Read...
- Intel Takes Green Mindedness to the Bank 02.28.12 Read...
- Energy Efficiency: The One Trillion Dollar Answer 03.01.12 Read...
- How Finance Can Move the Needle on Environmental and Social Issues: A Presentation to Cobb Alliance for Clean Energy 02.16.13 Read...
- Boardwalk on Facebook
- Business Radio X interview -- Sustainable Investing
- Boardwalk on LinkedIn
- Wall Street Journal -- Scott Sadler on Sustainable Investing
- UN Principles for Responsible Investment
- WSJ Profile of Boardwalk Capital Management
- Mercer -- Climate Change Report
- HBR: The Dollar Payoff from Corporate Responsibility
- Sustainable Innovation -- Udaiyan Jatar at SI13
- Carbon Disclosure Project
- Innovating for Sustainability -- Dr. Steven Olson at SI13
- Corporate Responsibility Magazine
- Enviromental Leader - (sustainability)
- CSR Wire
- Just Means
- B Corporation
- Matter Network
- VIDEO: Boards and Social Responsibility
- VIDEO: Sustainable Investing Talk to NIRI Atlanta Chapter