The Sustainable Investor: In Pursuit of an Enlightened Investment Portfolio
US Stocks: Where are we now?
December 01, 2013
With the Dow Industrials and S&P500 making all time highs, and with the NASDAQ at a 13-year high, investors are right to question whether or not this bull market "still has legs". Perhaps it's not so surprising that Wall Street strategists and fund managers are divided on the outlook. Below, we summarize some thoughts from noteworthy commentators, while adding our own observations. Keep this fact in mind: It's the valution of the market that matters. Not the index level. Since 1900, the S&P 500 Index has been within 5% of its prior peak almost half the time. We're always wondering if the...Read Full Article...
Third Quarter Market Commentary -- Chaos at Quarter's End
October 01, 2013
We are again fortunate to report that while the third quarter was a volatile one, stocks ended higher than where they started. Overseas shares did better than domestic ones for the first time in quite awhile. And while emerging market stocks were as usual, the most volatile, they too ended the quarter with better returns than the S&P500. The diversification that we have implemented in client accounts is now not only a risk management exercise, it is also adding to returns. Over the long term, availing ourselves of a broader range of opportunities should pay financial dividends. Bonds, meanwhile, have had...Read Full Article...
Reconciling a Dow 20,000 target with an overbought market
August 18, 2013
The Business Insider website ran two articles this week that seem to be in conflict. But perhaps they are not so at odds with one another… Link: Dow 20000 is Likely to Happen Sooner Than You Think The folks at AllianceBernstein investments issued a report this week, reiterating their projection for the Dow Jones Industrial Average to hit 20,000 by 2018. Let that sink in for a second. Is that likely, or is it just hype? As you will read in the attached article, these are hardly heroic predictions. Yes, it will be a bumpy ride, but DOW 20,000 in five years amounts...Read Full Article...
Market Update: Second Quarter 2013
July 07, 2013
Spooked by the prospect of tighter monetary policy, investors began selling stocks and bonds, both at home and abroad, as the second quarter came to a close. Volatility spiked, as did Treasury bond yields, with the 10-year Treasury ended the quarter yielding 2.52% -- a level not seen in more than a year. In June, US stocks posted their first monthly decline of the year, ending an amazing winning streak. FIXED INCOME: While bond investors have every right to be concerned about the Fed's activities, they also need to recall that fixed income rates have been below the rate of inflation...Read Full Article...
First Quarter Review and Outlook
April 21, 2013
U.S. stocks posted robust gains in the first quarter, with large caps returning 11 percent, beating both developed international (+4%) and emerging markets stocks (-4%). Bonds were lackluster, posting flat total returns as modest coupon interest was offest by a small increase in market interest rates (causing a drop in values). In 2012 and early 2013, an accommodative Federal Reserve combined with an improving U.S. economy to push domestic shares higher. While unemployment is falling only slowly, construction fundamentals have rebounded sharply. Home prices have been rising, and corporate earnings and profitability are near record highs. This was a good recipe for stocks, but caused a little consternation...Read Full Article...
Get Started Now...
Learn how sustainable investing can align your money with your values.Board Walk Research
- Are We Near the End for Bonds? 08.24.12 Read...
- A New Year, New Taxes and New Challenges 01.22.13 Read...
- Dow 14000: The Wall of Worry Has Been Climbed 02.01.13 Read...
- First Quarter Review and Outlook 04.21.13 Read...
- Market Update: Second Quarter 2013 07.07.13 Read...
- Reconciling a Dow 20,000 target with an overbought market 08.18.13 Read...
- Third Quarter Market Commentary -- Chaos at Quarter's End 10.01.13 Read...
- Boardwalk on Facebook
- Business Radio X interview -- Sustainable Investing
- Boardwalk on LinkedIn
- Wall Street Journal -- Scott Sadler on Sustainable Investing
- UN Principles for Responsible Investment
- WSJ Profile of Boardwalk Capital Management
- Mercer -- Climate Change Report
- HBR: The Dollar Payoff from Corporate Responsibility
- Sustainable Innovation -- Udaiyan Jatar at SI13
- Carbon Disclosure Project
- Innovating for Sustainability -- Dr. Steven Olson at SI13
- Corporate Responsibility Magazine
- Enviromental Leader - (sustainability)
- CSR Wire
- Just Means
- B Corporation
- Matter Network
- VIDEO: Boards and Social Responsibility
- VIDEO: Sustainable Investing Talk to NIRI Atlanta Chapter