The Sustainable Investor: In Pursuit of an Enlightened Investment Portfolio
Indexing competitive returns and a better social footprint
May 31, 2014
Fund managers have a bad rap. (I know. I managed one for seven years and played the quarterly "performance derby" just like the rest of them.) While there are certainly mutual fund managers who can outperform their benchmarks, as an industry, high costs often mean the average fund doesn't distinguish itself. And even the best managers find it nearly impossible to outperform on a consistent basis. Isn't this a self-fullfilling prophesy? I mean, how can a group of very smart people, competing within the same finite universe of investment opportunities, be better than average? It's just not mathematically possible for a group to...Read Full Article...
To Divest, or Not to Divest... That is the (new) question.
May 14, 2013
Investors are increasingly asking that question. You know the one that should be never raised at cocktail parties: "Should I invest in companies that I know are wrecking the planet?" In simpler times, "serious investors" didn't worry with the social aspects of investing in tobacco or alcohol or defense contractors. Our pragmatism stated that legal products were acceptable investments in a free society. That was prior to our knowledge of climate science... before the flooding of Pacific islands and Alaskan coastal towns... and well in advance of breaching 400ppm of CO2 in the atmosphere -- a level not seen in the totality of...Read Full Article...
Dow 14000: The Wall of Worry Has Been Climbed
February 01, 2013
The old adage is that the market must "climb a wall of worry" was surely appropriate in this cycle. All the way from the market's lows in 2009, investor worries over economic challenges persisted. Domestic and foreign economies gave investors plenty to worry about. But despite these worries, the markets defied them with a choppy climb to a five year high. There is another saying that may even trump the first one: "Don't fight the Fed." When economic conditions are weak, the Federal Reserve makes money easier to come by. For banks, that is. Not necessarily for the average borrower. Cheap money has shown up, of course, in zero percent money market funds, miniscule...Read Full Article...
Get Started Now...
Learn how sustainable investing can align your money with your values.Board Walk Research
- Dow 14000: The Wall of Worry Has Been Climbed 02.01.13 Read...
- To Divest, or Not to Divest... That is the (new) question. 05.14.13 Read...
- Indexing competitive returns and a better social footprint 05.31.14 Read...
- Boardwalk on Facebook
- Business Radio X interview -- Sustainable Investing
- Boardwalk on LinkedIn
- Wall Street Journal -- Scott Sadler on Sustainable Investing
- UN Principles for Responsible Investment
- WSJ Profile of Boardwalk Capital Management
- Mercer -- Climate Change Report
- HBR: The Dollar Payoff from Corporate Responsibility
- Sustainable Innovation -- Udaiyan Jatar at SI13
- Carbon Disclosure Project
- Innovating for Sustainability -- Dr. Steven Olson at SI13
- Corporate Responsibility Magazine
- Enviromental Leader - (sustainability)
- CSR Wire
- Just Means
- B Corporation
- Matter Network
- VIDEO: Boards and Social Responsibility
- VIDEO: Sustainable Investing Talk to NIRI Atlanta Chapter