The Sustainable Investor: In Pursuit of an Enlightened Investment Portfolio
To Divest, or Not to Divest... That is the (new) question.
May 14, 2013
Investors are increasingly asking that question. You know the one that should be never raised at cocktail parties: "Should I invest in companies that I know are wrecking the planet?" In simpler times, "serious investors" didn't worry with the social aspects of investing in tobacco or alcohol or defense contractors. Our pragmatism stated that legal products were acceptable investments in a free society. That was prior to our knowledge of climate science... before the flooding of Pacific islands and Alaskan coastal towns... and well in advance of breaching 400ppm of CO2 in the atmosphere -- a level not seen in the totality of...Read Full Article...
New Climate Action May Impact Dividend Growth
June 29, 2012
Out-of-control firestorms in Colorado and 100-degree heat index in the nation's capital served as an apt backdrop for an important court ruling on climate risk. Earlier this week, the U.S. The three-judge panel unanimously agreed with the Environmental Protection Agency's finding that carbon dioxide is a...Read Full Article...
Mounting Challenges for the World's Food Supply
April 29, 2012
With an expanding and increasingly urban, meat-consuming world population, how will farming co-exist with climate change and water/energy/land scarcity? Agriculture already consumes 70% of the world's water supply. And by 2030, farmers will need 45% more water to feed the almost 9 billion people on the planet...Read Full Article...
Boardwalk Portfolios: Top Rankings for Ethics and Climate
April 29, 2012
Last month, global watchdog Ethisphere released its World's Most Ethical Companies list. This week research firm Maplecroft disclosed its Climate Innovation Index. In both cases, Boardwalk's model portfolio holdings were well represented. Among those considered most ethical, General Electric and Starbucks have made the grade for all six years of the study's existence. UPS, Cisco, Intel, Alcoa, and Pepsico were also among the domestic honorees in our models, while Accenture (Ireland), National Grid (UK) and Westpac Banking (Australia) were among the foreign holdings recognized. The Carbon Innovation Index recognizes companies who "successfully innovate and manage climate-related opportunities and risks and...Read Full Article...
Why the World's Largest Investors are Embracing Sustainable and Responsible Investing
March 22, 2012
Pension plans, college endowments and charitable organizations are some of the largest and most astute investors in the world. As individuals, should we take lessons from their actions? In recent years, institutions who manage trillions of dollars have begun to take a new approach to investing. They have determined that resource scarcity, climate change, activist consumers and even the speed of social media have changed the investment landscape. Company reputations are damaged in an instant, and billions of dollars can be wiped away by reckless actions. These institutional investors are increasingly employing a "Sustainable and Responsible Investment" model to help them...Read Full Article...
Get Started Now...
Learn how sustainable investing can align your money with your values.Board Walk Research
- Companies are Climate Change Believers (even when politicians are not) 03.15.12 Read...
- Intel Takes Green Mindedness to the Bank 02.28.12 Read...
- Why the World's Largest Investors are Embracing Sustainable and Responsible Investing 03.22.12 Read...
- Mounting Challenges for the World's Food Supply 04.29.12 Read...
- Boardwalk Portfolios: Top Rankings for Ethics and Climate 04.29.12 Read...
- New Climate Action May Impact Dividend Growth 06.29.12 Read...
- To Divest, or Not to Divest... That is the (new) question. 05.14.13 Read...
- Boardwalk on Facebook
- Boardwalk on LinkedIn
- Wall Street Journal -- Scott Sadler on Sustainable Investing
- UN Principles for Responsible Investment
- Mercer -- Climate Change Report
- HBR: The Dollar Payoff from Corporate Responsibility
- Carbon Disclosure Project
- Corporate Responsibility Magazine
- Enviromental Leader - (sustainability)
- CSR Wire
- Just Means
- B Corporation
- Free Rice
- Matter Network
- VIDEO: Boards and Social Responsibility
- VIDEO: Sustainable Investing Talk to NIRI Atlanta Chapter