The Sustainable Investor: In Pursuit of an Enlightened Investment Portfolio
Buy Green. Sell Stranded.
January 21, 2014
Buy Green. Sell Stranded. Even Wall Street is worried about climate change. By Tim McDonnell One of the hard truths about climate change solutions—whether they’re solar panels, protective sea walls, or carbon-sucking golf balls—is that somebody has to pay for them. This week the United Nations’ climate chief, Christiana Figueres, told Climate Desk that global investment in clean-energy technologies needs to reach $1 trillion per year by 2030 (a little less than the gross domestic product of South Korea), roughly tripling where we’re at now, to keep global warming within the limit agreed on by international climate negotiators. So when more than 500 investors who hold the strings on...Read Full Article...
To Divest, or Not to Divest... That is the (new) question.
May 14, 2013
Investors are increasingly asking that question. You know the one that should be never raised at cocktail parties: "Should I invest in companies that I know are wrecking the planet?" In simpler times, "serious investors" didn't worry with the social aspects of investing in tobacco or alcohol or defense contractors. Our pragmatism stated that legal products were acceptable investments in a free society. That was prior to our knowledge of climate science... before the flooding of Pacific islands and Alaskan coastal towns... and well in advance of breaching 400ppm of CO2 in the atmosphere -- a level not seen in the totality of...Read Full Article...
New Climate Action May Impact Dividend Growth
June 29, 2012
Out-of-control firestorms in Colorado and 100-degree heat index in the nation's capital served as an apt backdrop for an important court ruling on climate risk. Earlier this week, the U.S. The three-judge panel unanimously agreed with the Environmental Protection Agency's finding that carbon dioxide is a...Read Full Article...
Mounting Challenges for the World's Food Supply
April 29, 2012
With an expanding and increasingly urban, meat-consuming world population, how will farming co-exist with climate change and water/energy/land scarcity? Agriculture already consumes 70% of the world's water supply. And by 2030, farmers will need 45% more water to feed the almost 9 billion people on the planet...Read Full Article...
Boardwalk Portfolios: Top Rankings for Ethics and Climate
April 29, 2012
Last month, global watchdog Ethisphere released its World's Most Ethical Companies list. This week research firm Maplecroft disclosed its Climate Innovation Index. In both cases, Boardwalk's model portfolio holdings were well represented. Among those considered most ethical, General Electric and Starbucks have made the grade for all six years of the study's existence. UPS, Cisco, Intel, Alcoa, and Pepsico were also among the domestic honorees in our models, while Accenture (Ireland), National Grid (UK) and Westpac Banking (Australia) were among the foreign holdings recognized. The Carbon Innovation Index recognizes companies who "successfully innovate and manage climate-related opportunities and risks and...Read Full Article...
Get Started Now...
Learn how sustainable investing can align your money with your values.Board Walk Research
- Companies are Climate Change Believers (even when politicians are not) 03.15.12 Read...
- Intel Takes Green Mindedness to the Bank 02.28.12 Read...
- Why the World's Largest Investors are Embracing Sustainable and Responsible Investing 03.22.12 Read...
- Mounting Challenges for the World's Food Supply 04.29.12 Read...
- Boardwalk Portfolios: Top Rankings for Ethics and Climate 04.29.12 Read...
- New Climate Action May Impact Dividend Growth 06.29.12 Read...
- To Divest, or Not to Divest... That is the (new) question. 05.14.13 Read...
- Boardwalk on Facebook
- Business Radio X interview -- Sustainable Investing
- Boardwalk on LinkedIn
- Wall Street Journal -- Scott Sadler on Sustainable Investing
- UN Principles for Responsible Investment
- WSJ Profile of Boardwalk Capital Management
- Mercer -- Climate Change Report
- HBR: The Dollar Payoff from Corporate Responsibility
- Sustainable Innovation -- Udaiyan Jatar at SI13
- Carbon Disclosure Project
- Innovating for Sustainability -- Dr. Steven Olson at SI13
- Corporate Responsibility Magazine
- Enviromental Leader - (sustainability)
- CSR Wire
- Just Means
- B Corporation
- Matter Network
- VIDEO: Boards and Social Responsibility
- VIDEO: Sustainable Investing Talk to NIRI Atlanta Chapter