The Sustainable Investor: In Pursuit of an Enlightened Investment Portfolio
Investors at a Crossroads
February 21, 2017
Investors at the Crossroads Time to Choose Up Sides Early in my career, I worked for an Investment Strategist who identified a "theme" that drove our firm's investment direction. It was 1993, and this theme focused on the power of unleashing the human capital in the world's developing countries. This idea ultimately motivated me to launch the firm's first international fund, focused on emerging markets. This was one of the greatest experiences of my life, and to this day it shapes my world view: That people are people, from country to country. And all are seeking a better life for themselves and their families. Period. This same...Read Full Article...
Own The Toll Booth: Opportunities in Renewable Energy
July 01, 2015
I admit it. I have a difficult time telling people that they shouldn't invest in renewable energy projects. If they have a long time horizon (these are infrastructure investments, after all), there's much to applaud. -- Why wouldn't they want such stable and substantial (8-10%) cash flows to underpin their portfolio? -- Why wouldn't they want the 30% Federal investment tax credits to offset their other gains, or to deliver future tax-free income? -- Why wouldn't they want to be part of the solution to global climate, geopolitical and energy issues? Technology risk? Nonsense. These facilities use technology to be more efficient. They don't try to be the...Read Full Article...
Divestment: Investors put their money where their mouth is.
March 11, 2014
“The looming choice may be either stranding those assets or stranding the planet.” OECD Secretary-General Angel Gurria The drumbeat for "divestment" continues to grow louder. And Boardwalk Capital is seeing new client demand for fossil-free portfolios. This movement isn't on the fringes any more... The problem for investors is complex but straightforward. Current global fossil fuel reserves, if extracted and burnt, would release far more greenhouse gas emissions than is compatible with meeting the internationally agreed limit of no more than two degrees of global warming. Defining risk. Aligning values: Investors around the world, from non-profits to universities, from individuals to governments, are starting...Read Full Article...
Buy Green. Sell Stranded.
January 21, 2014
Buy Green. Sell Stranded. Even Wall Street is worried about climate change. By Tim McDonnell One of the hard truths about climate change solutions—whether they’re solar panels, protective sea walls, or carbon-sucking golf balls—is that somebody has to pay for them. This week the United Nations’ climate chief, Christiana Figueres, told Climate Desk that global investment in clean-energy technologies needs to reach $1 trillion per year by 2030 (a little less than the gross domestic product of South Korea), roughly tripling where we’re at now, to keep global warming within the limit agreed on by international climate negotiators. So when more than 500 investors who hold the strings on...Read Full Article...
To Divest, or Not to Divest... That is the (new) question.
May 14, 2013
Investors are increasingly asking that question. You know the one that should be never raised at cocktail parties: "Should I invest in companies that I know are wrecking the planet?" In simpler times, "serious investors" didn't worry with the social aspects of investing in tobacco or alcohol or defense contractors. Our pragmatism stated that legal products were acceptable investments in a free society. That was prior to our knowledge of climate science... before the flooding of Pacific islands and Alaskan coastal towns... and well in advance of breaching 400ppm of CO2 in the atmosphere -- a level not seen in the totality of...Read Full Article...
Get Started Now...
Learn how sustainable investing can align your money with your values.Board Walk Research
- Companies are Climate Change Believers (even when politicians are not) 03.15.12 Read...
- Intel Takes Green Mindedness to the Bank 02.28.12 Read...
- Why the World's Largest Investors are Embracing Sustainable and Responsible Investing 03.22.12 Read...
- Mounting Challenges for the World's Food Supply 04.29.12 Read...
- Boardwalk Portfolios: Top Rankings for Ethics and Climate 04.29.12 Read...
- New Climate Action May Impact Dividend Growth 06.29.12 Read...
- How Finance Can Move the Needle on Environmental and Social Issues: A Presentation to Cobb Alliance for Clean Energy 02.16.13 Read...
- Boardwalk on Facebook
- Business Radio X interview -- Sustainable Investing
- Boardwalk on LinkedIn
- Wall Street Journal -- Scott Sadler on Sustainable Investing
- UN Principles for Responsible Investment
- WSJ Profile of Boardwalk Capital Management
- Mercer -- Climate Change Report
- HBR: The Dollar Payoff from Corporate Responsibility
- Sustainable Innovation -- Udaiyan Jatar at SI13
- Carbon Disclosure Project
- Innovating for Sustainability -- Dr. Steven Olson at SI13
- Corporate Responsibility Magazine
- Enviromental Leader - (sustainability)
- CSR Wire
- Just Means
- B Corporation
- Matter Network
- VIDEO: Boards and Social Responsibility
- VIDEO: Sustainable Investing Talk to NIRI Atlanta Chapter