The Sustainable Investor: In Pursuit of an Enlightened Investment Portfolio
NY Times: Investing to Make a Difference is Gaining Ground
September 01, 2014
By PAUL SULLIVAN, New York Times If there is a traditional path to becoming an impact investor, it is the one taken by David Keller, who made a lot of money at a young age and retired from Cisco Systems in his 40s in 2002. Mr. Keller got the idea of starting a family foundation and wondered if he could do more good by putting some of the foundation’s money in investments that would have a positive social impact. “With a modest family foundation, I knew I wasn’t going to change the world,” Mr. Keller, now 60, said. “The whole idea of...Read Full Article...
July 27, 2014
"In business, sustainability means managing human and natural capital with the same vigor we apply to the management of financial capital. It means widening the scope of our awareness so we can understand fully the "true cost" of every choice we make." Ray C. Anderson -- CEO, Interface, on defining "sustainability" We can all read Ray Anderson's words above, appreciate his passion, and be inspired by his vision. But what if we aren't all visionaries like Ray? How can we create an authentic experience that reflects our passions in something as mundane as investing? Keep in mind that the carpet business isn't...Read Full Article...
Indexing competitive returns and a better social footprint
May 31, 2014
Fund managers have a bad rap. (I know. I managed one for seven years and played the quarterly "performance derby" just like the rest of them.) While there are certainly mutual fund managers who can outperform their benchmarks, as an industry, high costs often mean the average fund doesn't distinguish itself. And even the best managers find it nearly impossible to outperform on a consistent basis. Isn't this a self-fullfilling prophesy? I mean, how can a group of very smart people, competing within the same finite universe of investment opportunities, be better than average? It's just not mathematically possible for a group to...Read Full Article...
Divestment: Investors put their money where their mouth is.
March 11, 2014
“The looming choice may be either stranding those assets or stranding the planet.” OECD Secretary-General Angel Gurria The drumbeat for "divestment" continues to grow louder. And Boardwalk Capital is seeing new client demand for fossil-free portfolios. This movement isn't on the fringes any more... The problem for investors is complex but straightforward. Current global fossil fuel reserves, if extracted and burnt, would release far more greenhouse gas emissions than is compatible with meeting the internationally agreed limit of no more than two degrees of global warming. Defining risk. Aligning values: Investors around the world, from non-profits to universities, from individuals to governments, are starting...Read Full Article...
Buy Green. Sell Stranded.
January 21, 2014
Buy Green. Sell Stranded. Even Wall Street is worried about climate change. By Tim McDonnell One of the hard truths about climate change solutions—whether they’re solar panels, protective sea walls, or carbon-sucking golf balls—is that somebody has to pay for them. This week the United Nations’ climate chief, Christiana Figueres, told Climate Desk that global investment in clean-energy technologies needs to reach $1 trillion per year by 2030 (a little less than the gross domestic product of South Korea), roughly tripling where we’re at now, to keep global warming within the limit agreed on by international climate negotiators. So when more than 500 investors who hold the strings on...Read Full Article...
Get Started Now...
Learn how sustainable investing can align your money with your values.Board Walk Research
- Apple Takes It Up a Notch 02.14.12 Read...
- The Dollar Payoff from CSR and Sustainability 01.18.12 Read...
- A Slowly Boiling Frog -- Investor Summit on Climate Risk 01.15.12 Read...
- Vanguard's John Bogle -- At It Again... "A Tax Break for Gambling?" 02.17.12 Read...
- 15 Companies Tell Congress To Renew Key Wind Power Tax Credit 02.17.12 Read...
- Companies are Climate Change Believers (even when politicians are not) 03.15.12 Read...
- Lighting Retrofits: Low Hanging Fruit 02.18.12 Read...
- Boardwalk on Facebook
- Business Radio X interview -- Sustainable Investing
- Boardwalk on LinkedIn
- Wall Street Journal -- Scott Sadler on Sustainable Investing
- UN Principles for Responsible Investment
- WSJ Profile of Boardwalk Capital Management
- Mercer -- Climate Change Report
- HBR: The Dollar Payoff from Corporate Responsibility
- Sustainable Innovation -- Udaiyan Jatar at SI13
- Carbon Disclosure Project
- Innovating for Sustainability -- Dr. Steven Olson at SI13
- Corporate Responsibility Magazine
- Enviromental Leader - (sustainability)
- CSR Wire
- Just Means
- B Corporation
- Matter Network
- VIDEO: Boards and Social Responsibility
- VIDEO: Sustainable Investing Talk to NIRI Atlanta Chapter