The Sustainable Investor: In Pursuit of an Enlightened Investment Portfolio
Divestment: Investors put their money where their mouth is.
March 11, 2014
“The looming choice may be either stranding those assets or stranding the planet.” OECD Secretary-General Angel Gurria The drumbeat for "divestment" continues to grow louder. And Boardwalk Capital is seeing new client demand for fossil-free portfolios. This movement isn't on the fringes any more... The problem for investors is complex but straightforward. Current global fossil fuel reserves, if extracted and burnt, would release far more greenhouse gas emissions than is compatible with meeting the internationally agreed limit of no more than two degrees of global warming. Defining risk. Aligning values: Investors around the world, from non-profits to universities, from individuals to governments, are starting...Read Full Article...
US Stocks: Where are we now?
December 01, 2013
With the Dow Industrials and S&P500 making all time highs, and with the NASDAQ at a 13-year high, investors are right to question whether or not this bull market "still has legs". Perhaps it's not so surprising that Wall Street strategists and fund managers are divided on the outlook. Below, we summarize some thoughts from noteworthy commentators, while adding our own observations. Keep this fact in mind: It's the valution of the market that matters. Not the index level. Since 1900, the S&P 500 Index has been within 5% of its prior peak almost half the time. We're always wondering if the...Read Full Article...
Sustainability Leaders Bring Their Best to SI13 Conference in Atlanta
November 20, 2013
On November 18, nearly 100 local business professionals, consultants and sustainability experts met in Midtown Atlanta, Georgia for the Second Annual Sustainability Interactive! Conference. Few participants left without being impressed by the unique insights and top-level networking at this convention of leading experts and practitioners. Attendees not only met face-to-face with Sustainability Directors from some of the nation's top companies and universities. They also were treated to presentations by two leading branding and innovation consultants -- Udaiyan "UJ" Jatar. CEO of Blue Earth Networks and Dr. Steven Olson from the Robinson College of Business at Georgia State University. Both presenters focused...Read Full Article...
A Truly Eventful BCorp Summit
October 01, 2013
Two weeks ago, I was fortunate to attend the BCorp Champions Retreat in Boulder, Colorado. The city’s natural beauty, history of entrepreneurship, intellectual capital, and environmental innovation made it a natural choice to host a conference of “triple bottom line” businesses. If you have been following the weather out West, however, you know that it was more eventful than anyone had hoped. And if you've never heard of a BCorp... Well, the B stands for "Benefit". To put it simply, the BCorp movement is transforming the way that business is done -- redefining success, with each firm holding themselves accountable for their profitability and...Read Full Article...
Third Quarter Market Commentary -- Chaos at Quarter's End
October 01, 2013
We are again fortunate to report that while the third quarter was a volatile one, stocks ended higher than where they started. Overseas shares did better than domestic ones for the first time in quite awhile. And while emerging market stocks were as usual, the most volatile, they too ended the quarter with better returns than the S&P500. The diversification that we have implemented in client accounts is now not only a risk management exercise, it is also adding to returns. Over the long term, availing ourselves of a broader range of opportunities should pay financial dividends. Bonds, meanwhile, have had...Read Full Article...
Get Started Now...
Learn how sustainable investing can align your money with your values.Board Walk Research
- Apple Takes It Up a Notch 02.14.12 Read...
- The Dollar Payoff from CSR and Sustainability 01.18.12 Read...
- A Slowly Boiling Frog -- Investor Summit on Climate Risk 01.15.12 Read...
- Vanguard's John Bogle -- At It Again... "A Tax Break for Gambling?" 02.17.12 Read...
- 15 Companies Tell Congress To Renew Key Wind Power Tax Credit 02.17.12 Read...
- Companies are Climate Change Believers (even when politicians are not) 03.15.12 Read...
- Lighting Retrofits: Low Hanging Fruit 02.18.12 Read...
- Boardwalk on Facebook
- Business Radio X interview -- Sustainable Investing
- Boardwalk on LinkedIn
- Wall Street Journal -- Scott Sadler on Sustainable Investing
- UN Principles for Responsible Investment
- WSJ Profile of Boardwalk Capital Management
- Mercer -- Climate Change Report
- HBR: The Dollar Payoff from Corporate Responsibility
- Sustainable Innovation -- Udaiyan Jatar at SI13
- Carbon Disclosure Project
- Innovating for Sustainability -- Dr. Steven Olson at SI13
- Corporate Responsibility Magazine
- Enviromental Leader - (sustainability)
- CSR Wire
- Just Means
- B Corporation
- Matter Network
- VIDEO: Boards and Social Responsibility
- VIDEO: Sustainable Investing Talk to NIRI Atlanta Chapter